Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dorothy Parker Comic


This week I’m continuing work on the unique artist books mentioned in my previous post. It’s proving to be a particularly satisfying, but challenging project.

So I have sought occasional light relief by playing with other book forms. Advised and encouraged by iPad artist Deborah McMillion Nering (see Blog Post December 24, 2012) I’ve made my first experiments with comic strips, one of which is reproduced above.

The Dorothy Parker comic was made using Strip Design, Etchings and Halftone iPad apps. The latter app offers an impressively varied selection of picturesquely aged ‘papers’. The comic's title comes from the opening line of Cole Porter’s song lyric Just One of Those Things (1935). The text, of course, is by the inimitable Dorothy Parker.

Click on the comic to enlarge.